Sunday, May 13, 2012

1973 Topps Rusty Staub


Last week in my post about Tommie Agee I pointed out that Rusty Staub made a guest appearance on his 1973 Topps card (airbrushed into an Astros uniform). Staub, however, didn't have his own Topps card in 1972 or 1973.  The 1973 set is one of my favorites. I especially like the horizontal action shots like Agee's. So I jumped at the chance to fill in Staub's missing 1973 card. If you'd like to see a 1972 Topps card of Rusty Staub follow this link to Mets Guy in Michigan.

 

Rusty Staub had an incredible post season in 1973. Although he had only 3 hits in 15 at-bats during the NLCS, all 3 of those hits cleared the fences. In the World Series he would bat over .400 and have a monster Game 4 going 4 for 4 with 5 RBIs and a homer to tie the series at 2 games each. That game was immortalized on cardboard in the 1974 set. Again using the horizontal action shot format.



11 comments:

  1. The White Sox Cards That Never Were Blog has a couple nice '72 Topps Staub cards too. One's a traded card the other shows him with the Expos. Yours is better because you used a great photo in a better format.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to the blog I mentioned http://whitesoxcards.blogspot.com/2010/11/cards-that-never-were-by-tim-d.html

      Delete
  2. That is a great site and I like his version of the cards. I thought the "Mets Guy" card was cool because it uses the crappy airbrushed version Topps made but never used. Instead they used it on a Hostess cards 3 years later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This IS the greatest site ever. Sometimes I'll have dreams seeing cards never made that I would imagine and then wake up poof they are GONE. How about any Joe Namath card 1975 or later?

      Delete
  3. nice 73 staub. i especially like the dodger stadium shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the third 'airbrushed Astro' is Ken Boswell, who was traded to the Astros before the 1975 season. Interesting isn't it? All three of the 'airbrushed Astros' all played for the team at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to know what person made the Rusty Staub 1973 looking card? I would like to purchase it if they made it in a full card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry Joseph. All cards on this site are just figments of my imagination. But you are free to do with it as you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey John, we should connect sometime. I created a "Traded Set" of 200+ cards for one of the mid-70's years. My email is dj@instreamsports.com. Drop me a line. Would love to chat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I luv your Rusty Staub a la Topps 1973 concept card! Thumbs Up! Though I didn't care for the majority of the shots used for Topps 1973 series. (Had the entire set) However, the Bob Robertson Ken Singleton and Wayne Garrett cards were some of the best imo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi......my eyes aren't what they once were....but was Rusty Staub in the Expos Team card in 1972 ? And was he in the Mets team card in 1973. Thanks for letting me know he was on the Tommie Agee card (i'll pick up a couple for my collection).....Also, did he photobomb any other cards in 1972 or 1973 ? Shame your 1973 card of Staub isn't real, it's a damn fine looking card. It would have been a great addition to that set !!

    ReplyDelete