Tuesday, July 6, 2021

1951 Topps Football Cards as Baseball Cards

 Before I start another round of All Star Cards That Never Were, I am going to throw in something a little different.  I was playing around with an idea of what Topps baseball cards would look like if they use Topps football format.  So for absolutely no good reason at all, the next few posts will be MVP baseball players from the '50s on Topps football card designs.

In 1951 Topps had a set called Football Magic.  The "Magic" referred to a scratch off quiz on the backs. The set also featured college players, not pros. This is Billy Wade who played quarterback for the Rams and Bears from 1954-1966.  He's shown here playing for Vanderbilt. 

I took the 1951 NL MVP Roy Campanella and put him in that card design.  The baseball version looks a little wider because the '51 football cards were 2 1/16" by 2 15/16".  I made the baseball version standard size, 2 1/ 2" by 3 1/2". Here they are side by side:



In case you're wondering, I skipped over the 1950 Topps Felt Back football cards.  They were quite ugly and would be hard to re-create.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Only collected football cards seriously for 1 year. Just couldn't get into them, but I like your baseball version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Campy looks like he's on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Works pretty well with this design, though. BTW, you misspelled his last name. Not that I couldn't imagine Topps doing that back then!

    ReplyDelete