Friday, December 18, 2015

1980 Topps Ken Griffey All Star MVP

Going Horizontal



Been gone for a while, but I have some unfinished business. Here is one of my running themes. I've been making horizontal cards in sets that didn't normally have them. For the subject I've been using the All Star Game MVP from that season. And yes, I do understand that the 1980 All Star MVP would not be included in the 1980 set, but my blog, my rules.  In 1980 the senior Griffey showed why the NL (at that time) was the "Senior Circuit".

Coming off a 48 home run season, the Cubs Dave Kingman was the fans choice in left field for the 1980 All Star game. But Kingman was also just coming off the disabled list with a shoulder injury. In the third inning Kingman re-injured his shoulder trying to throw Rod Carew out at second. Ken Griffey Sr. came in and went 2 for 3 with a homer. The National League went on to win their 9th straight All Star Game 4-2.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent work. I like the name & banner on top , nice touch, great horizontal layout for the 1980 card. Glad you posted-I needed my Cards That Never Were fix before Christmas :)HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR JOHN! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the days back when the NL won the AS game occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Always a sucker for those horizontal designs! Have a great Holiday buddy. All the best...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome looking card! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only criticism is that he's shown much later in his career when he came back to the Reds in the late 80s. You can tell by the stripes down his jersey pants.

    ReplyDelete