Wednesday, December 5, 2018

More 1976 Alt-Topps

Managers / Team Cards, Rookie cards and Traded


 I was unimpressed with what turned out to be the base cards in this set.  However as I created the subsets based on the mock-up, the design became more appealing.

I included the manager in the team card similar to the Topps team cards from 1975-1981 (except for 1978). 
Of course I had to use the famous Cubs floaty-head style team card.
In 1976 the AL Rookie of the Year was Mark (The Bird) Fidrych. In the NL Pat Zachry and Butch Metzger tied for the honor. Since all three were pitchers, I put them on the same card. I threw in a future Cy Young award winner, Pete Vuckovich, to round out the rookie card.
I think it was mandatory that I include the card that famously wasn't included in the original 1976 Topps Traded set, Reggie Jackson.
 Vada Pinson never actually saw any action in the 1976 season. He was released by the Brewers at the end Spring Training.  This would be the last stop in a great career for him. 

1 comment:

  1. Again, some nice looking cards. The team cards are definitely an improvement over the originals. Although I am not a fan of the multi-player rookie cards, this one looks good.

    ReplyDelete