Sunday, July 3, 2011

1979 Topps Bobby Douglass



Bobby Douglass was the Chicago Bears quarterback from 1969-1975. He later played for the Saints, Chargers and Packer mostly as back-up. Bears coach Abe Gibron once said of Douglass "He could throw a ball right through a barn door, if only he could hit a barn door."

In 1979 Bill Veeck gave Douglass a try out for the White Sox. He spent a short time pitching for their AAA farm club, the Iowa Oaks. He pitched a total of 7 innings giving up 7 earned runs on 6 hits, 13 walks and a balk. He struck out none.

The only picture I could find of him in a Sox uniform was a grainy black and white. So I apologize for the poor quality of this card. I'm still learning how to colorize.

1 comment:

  1. Love this one. I used the same grainy picture, but put it on the 1979 rookies card with Squires and Baumgarten. It worked well, but I like yours better!

    ReplyDelete