Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Even More 1973 Alt-Topps

All Stars, Leaders, World Series and Team Cards


It's unfortunate that I had to break from this series of posts.  I paused to pay tribute (in my own unusual way) to two superstar players who coincidentally, were in their prime in 1973, Tom Seaver and Lou Brock. 

Getting back to my Alt-Topps 1973 set, once again, I decided to take another unused Topps prototype for a subset. I chose the Hammer and Rod Carew to represent the 1973 Alt-Topps All Star set.


I saw this oddball mash-up among the group of Topps rejects. It's Pete Ward in the same pose as his 1964 Topps Stand-Up card.  But the team is the Orioles and the name on the card is Vida Blue.  There would be no way I could possibly make this card design into an entire set.  But it was simply way too cool not to use, so instead I used it as my 1973 All Star insert card design.


For my leader cards I went traditional(ish) in the design, but I took some liberties by including leaders in slugging percentage. I like the idea of non-traditional stats being used for leader cards.  That might be an upcoming post....


For the World Series I used traditional Red-White-Blue color scheme. This shot of the Series MVP Gene Tenace scoring the winning run in front of a dejected Johnny Bench is a classic.


The team cards are about a 50/50 ratio design to team photo.  Other than that they are fairly traditional team cards.


I chose the Royals and Expos just because I hadn't made any cards of them yet.  I don't want anyone to feel left out.







********************************************

Just as I've done in previous Alt-Topps posts, I'll make as many request as I can. Hopefully, I'll post them in a few weeks. Just post your requests (or even ideas for other subsets, etc) in the comment section.  Thanks.


3 comments:

  1. Good choice on that weird design--it's WAY too busy for a base set (although maybe you could take that basic design without the background), but it makes sense for an All-Star subset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting All Star cards. This is not what I expected. Too oddball for my conservative taste. Enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete