Wednesday, October 22, 2014

1967 Topps Style 2014 World Series Game 1

For the 2014 World Series I plan on making a highlight card of each game. I began this last year. For Game 1 I used a 1960 Topps design, Game 2, 1961, etc. This year I picked up with the 1967 design. The Topps World Series cards from 1967-70 used black and white photos. I decided not to go for authenticity. I just think Topps could have used color photos for those cards. After all they had used color photos from 1960-1965.  Here is a link to a recap of last year's World Series Cards That Never Were.

***************************************




When Hunter Pence went yard in the first inning, I was already thinking about those signs popping up in every ballpark. After he doubled and scored in the 4th my mind was made up. I had already committed to straying from the original 1967 Topps design in that I wanted to use color photos. Now I wanted the card to reflect the kind of signs that follow Pence around. It all began, like many other trends, in New York. A couple fans held up signs that said "Hunter Pence eats pizza with a fork" and "Hunter Pence puts ketchup on his hot dog".  Since then these meme-like ballpark signs have gone viral. They have even spawned their own twitter hash-tag #hunterpencesigns. 

Oh, by the way, the Giants dominated Game 1.  Madison Bumgarner gave up only 2 hits and no runs through 6 and 2/3 innings. With 2 outs in the 7th Salvador Perez homered off Bumgarner to give the Royals their only run. Pence had a 2 run homer in the first, doubled and scored in the 4th and was walked twice. The Royals lost their first post season game since October 23, 1985.  They lost Game 4 of the 1985 World Series to the Cardinals. They went on to win Games 5,6 &7. This Year they won the Wildcard game and swept both the Divisional and Championship Series. The Giants ended the Royals' streak at 11 straight post season victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment