Thursday, November 7, 2013

1961 Topps Checklist - Cards That Never Were - 18th Series


I've gotten a little behind on my checklists. I'm actually already 8 cards into the next series. As you can see I've decided to keep with the 1961 design and I'm going to use the photo area for some classic brawls. On my very first checklist I used Michael Barrett's sucker-punch on A.J. Pierzynski, and on my 17th series I used Robin Ventura's ill-advised charge on Nolan Ryan. 

For my 18th Series I used a photo of Juan Marichal and catcher Johnny Roseboro's 1965 brawl with Sandy Koufax in the background trying to break it up.  Roseboro was upset about some earlier chin music served up to teammates, Ron Fairly and Maury Wills. In retaliation he returned the ball unnecessarily close to Marichal's head. After Roseboro's second "inside" throw-back Marichal brought his bat down over his head. This resulted in a bench clearing brawl, 14 stiches for Johnny Roseboro, and 8 games off for Juan Marichal.

3 comments:

  1. I've heard about the Rosbero/Marichal fight, seen footage, but nothing drove it home to me like these two pictures I came across recently:

    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sQFb3Ti0WgA/UjAaytPaGKI/AAAAAAAAD7g/-GUNk2VHQZI/s800/2089.jpg

    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uRdp1YkAW_Y/UjAayS-TQ9I/AAAAAAAAD7U/t69xl2Yoz_Q/s960/2080.jpg

    A lot scarier than I initially thought. And only an 8 game suspension? Wowzers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would like to purchase the following cards, as listed in current Cards That Never Were catalog:

    Baseball Series 37:

    o Card #909 -- 1963 Fleer World Series Game 2
    o Card #910 -- 1963 Fleer World Series Game 7

    Football Series ??:

    o Card #? -- 1960 Topps Norm Van Brocklin (Phila. Eagles)

    Kindly reply to discuss availability and prices for the desired items.

    Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation in accommodating this request,

    Bob Carelli
    Cherry Hill, NJ (USA)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I attempted to send you an email request through Gmail yesterday (under the alias "waxboxbob") regarding possible purchase of the following cards, as listed in your current catalog:

    Baseball Series 37:

    o Card #909 -- 1963 Fleer World Series Game 2
    o Card #910 -- 1963 Fleer World Series Game 7

    Football Series ??:

    o Card #? -- 1960 Topps Norm Van Brocklin (Phila. Eagles)

    If you received either the aforementioned email or this present transmission, could you kindly reply at soonest convenience to confirm receipt and discuss availability and prices for the desired items.

    Thank you very much for your understanding and cooperation in accommodating this request,

    Bob Carelli (aka "waxboxbob")
    Cherry Hill, NJ (USA)

    ReplyDelete