Thursday, March 27, 2014

1973 Topps All Star Cards - National League East

When posting the 1973 All Star cards that never were, I let it be known that it was not my first version. I had created a 1973 All Star card for Don Kessinger which included all of the Cubs All Stars from 1972 even the reserves. I had based it off the 1973 Topps Manager/Coaches cards. This was not a format that would work for all teams. In fact it worked for very few of them. Long story short with a little prodding I decided to create team-based 1973 All Star cards. Because of the wide range of players representing different teams in the 1972 All Star game, I had to employ various designs. I've broken them down by division and posted them in the order they finished the 1972 season.


This is the card that I wanted to make the most. Mainly because it fit the same format I used for the Cubs already. But also because of the great players like Clemente, and Oliver. Clemente was actually supposed to be a starter but was out due to an injury. Willie Mays replaced him in the starting line up.


This is the card that started the thread. I made this first. Before I decided to create All Star cards that never were. In fact I made it before I created this blog.


Here is another concept I had toyed with before settling on the final version. I think it works especially well for the Mets as Mays was in the starting line up and Seaver and McGraw were in the bullpen. I think I would have really liked to find this card back in the day. Everyone seems so happy. I came across the picture of Mays smiling at the plate and had to find similarly joyous photos of the other two.


Yet another format. I could have made this fit the same format as the Cubs and the Bucs but who would get the big picture? Both Torre and Gibson were starters.


Bill Stoneman was the sole representative of the Montreal Expos so I just gave him a card like all the other All Stars.


Ditto for "Lefty".

3 comments:

  1. Excellent. Very kool new designs. Love the multi-player ASG cards, especially the Met one (well,duh) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the Stargell card - but unfortunately you've misspelled Sanguillen. Will there be a corrected version?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, can someone tell me where I can find those cards.

    ReplyDelete