Monday, February 6, 2012

1990 Donruss Frank Thomas

Chicago White Sox CTNW Fan Favorites #4

**********UPDATE*********

I've added an easter egg of sorts to tie into my 4th pack of physical cards.  This time it's all football cards. I've decided to make an insert reminiscent of the 1970 Topps Glossy cards. Since it is another Frank Thomas card, rather than make a new post, I'll just put it here.


Due to printing constraints, The dimensions aren't exact, but I still think it was a good insert.  I also had a give away on Twitter @CardsThatNever and if you found this update to a nearly 10 year old post, it means you scanned the QR Code on the back of this card.  You are definitely in the minority.  But I thank you for either buying a pack with this insert, buying this card on its own, or entering (and winning!) my Twitter contest.

 
********************

I'm putting together 5 "Cards That Never Were" fan favorites from each team. These are not necessarily the 5 best players from the franchise. So as David Letterman used to say before Stupid Pet Tricks, "This is only an exhibition. This is not a competition. Please, no wagering."


Frank Thomas played his career in the junk box era so it's hard to find a "Card That Never Was". In his rookie year alone he had cards by Topps, Bowman, Fleer, Score and Leaf.  Somehow Donruss missed the boat. I'm here to right that wrong by featuring a young Frank Thomas on one of the ugliest cards ever produced.

Thomas was called up in August of 1990 and hit .330 with 7 homers. In his first full season he would hit .318 with 32 homers finishing 3rd in MVP voting. Unfortunately he had too many at-bats in 1990 to qualify for Rookie of the Year in 1991. He would go on to be a 2 time MVP, a 5 time All Star and a 4 time Silver Slugger.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent work as always. I applaud your finding a picture of Thomas in old Comiskey Park too.

    That 1990 Donruss design is awful but it's no worse than '91, '92, and '93. I like how they just gave up designing borders in '94.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this card actually existed it would more than make up for the design of the set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this a photoshop mockup only, or did you print this card?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the cards on this site are virtual. Not printed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, would you be able to print one of these out for sale or trade?

    ReplyDelete
  6. James, you are most welcome to print one off for yourself. I just ask that you don't resell it.

    ReplyDelete