Sunday, October 15, 2017

Topps Bunt Cards That Never Were

I'm away on vacation, and got a strange text from my brother.  He told me to check out Topps Bunt today. What I saw was this:



I was totally blown away. I am shocked that anyone at Topps even knew this silly little blog existed. Much less create a digital insert set based on some of work that appeared here. 

They even utilized the same fonts I used for this blog on the backs of the cards:


Many of the cards Bunt created are similar to those in a final card Tribute Project which stemmed from an article I read in Sports Collector's Daily by Rich Klein. Here are a couple examples of Bunt's cards compared to cards I posted here:




To be quite honest, I always thought that if somebody from Topps ever stumbled across this blog, I would get a "cease and desist".  But this is way cooler. Thanks to the Bunt team!  You made an old collector very happy.





11 comments:

  1. Very cool! I hope they make some of your creations into real cards next.. like as inserts in Archives or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - congratulations! That's some kind of recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards. Are there any 1957 cards for Gene Freese and Bobby Morgan? Glad to see you posting again. Hope this means you will be posting more often now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't ruled it out, but I just haven't had the time lately. I do have a backlog of half-finished ideas.

      Delete
  4. It's one of the coolest things on Bunt.

    When I saw the announcement, I dropped by your site but this post wasn't up yet. I thought it was a collaboration you had with Topps and am surprised that you were surprised :-)

    I wanted to message you but couldn't find a contact link so I ended up writing about it yesterday: 1975baseballcards.com/cards-that-never-were-and-topps-bunt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This caught me totally by surprise. I'm in Ireland right now and if my brother didn't text me about it, I would have never know.

      Delete
  5. They even used the same font John! I don't think that's right w/o your permission.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can empathise. On my blog for Australian baseball cards that I make , I did actually end up getting a phone call from the Australia Baseball League a number of years ago that was making sure that I wasn't selling my cards or using the official photographers images in my cards. I pointed out that no I don't sell them and that there is even a notice on every page pointing that out to anyone looking at the blog, and that I take all my own photos. Since then however, I've seen 5 of the 6 Australian Baseball League teams use images of my cards and my photos from my blog on their own Facebook and other social media accounts, without recognition or attribution. It's nice they like my work, but it would also be nice to have some recognition/attribution at the same time, especially when I'e had the almost "cease and desist" earlier. Congrats on being recognised, even if they haven't done so directly :) - Adam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice article as well as whole site.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Rizzuto card, in which he is wearing a ROAD jersey, is "posed" in his HOME park (Yankee Stadium).

    ReplyDelete