Wednesday, February 15, 2012

1972 Topps Dick Allen In Action

Chicago White Sox CTNW Fan Favorites #1

I'm putting together 5 "Cards That Never Were" fan favorites from each team. These are not necessarily the 5 best players from the franchise. So as David Letterman used to say before Stupid Pet Tricks, "This is only an exhibition. This is not a competition. Please, no wagering."



This card combines my favorite picture of one of my favorite players from my favorite team on my favorite set of baseball cards. Dick Allen had just an awful card in 1972 (his MVP season). It was an old picture of him in a Phillies uniform which Topps tried to pass off as a Cardinals uniform in 1970 then again as a White Sox uniform in 1972.



Because the Sox are my favorite team, this list could have gone on forever. I'm sure I missed several of your favorites because I missed several of mine. Wilbur Wood, Minnie Minoso, Nellie Fox, Carlton Fisk, Bill Melton, Al Smith just to name a few. I could probably make a whole blog just on them. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for rectifying that. It's a shame that Allen had such a terrible card in '72.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that card was real it would probably be my favorite card ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoying your site! Allen is perhap the most intriguing non-Twins player I've followed. Will post your link at Classic Minnesota Twins. Cool card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't this pic a Sports Illustrated cover? "Dick Allen Juggles His Image," the byline read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is. In fact I have an autographed copy of this magazine hanging in my basement.

    ReplyDelete