Monday, July 1, 2013

1962 Topps NL RBI Leaders: Cepeda, F.Robinson, Mays, Aaron


 This is one of those cards that if I didn't make it myself, I would have sworn was a real card. I mean how could Topps not include RBI Leaders in their set? This would have been a sought after card for many years. All 4 players are Hall of Famers. At the time this card would have been produced Mays, Cepeda and Robinson had all been elected Rookies of the Year and Aaron, Robinson and Mays had all been recent NL MVPs. Topps must have realized their missed opportunities because by 1964 RBI Leaders would become a staple of every set.

When I looked at the 2011 Heritage set, I saw that Topps was true to their original 1962 set and did not include an RBI Leader card. When I looked into who should have been on this card, I was struck by the similarities. I felt compelled to create a 2011 Heritage Card That Never Was:


Once again 3 of the 4 were recent NL MVP winners and 2 were Rookies of the Year. Are these 4 also destined to be enshrined in Cooperstown?




1 comment:

  1. Pujols is a definite Hall of Famer. The verdict is still out on the other three. I would say Votto has the best chance of the them, but I might be a little biased in favor of my Redlegs.

    JT, The Writer's Journey

    ReplyDelete