Saturday, July 21, 2012

1976 Topps Andre Dawson

Montreal Expos CTNW Favorites #2


After blowing through the Expos AA and AAA affiliates with 28 homers and a batting average of .352 he was called up the the Big League in September of 1976. In 1977 he would win the NL Rookie of the Year award. He would continue to garner awards including 8 Gold Gloves, 4 Silver Sluggers and the 1987 NL MVP.

When I was looking up stats on Dawson I came across this article from The Chicago Tribune from the week he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. It is loaded with factoids about the source of his nickname, his multiple knee surgeries and why he is so beloved in Chicago. It captured so much of what I wish I could say about "The Hawk".


Click the link above and read it for yourself.


4 comments:

  1. A $200K pay cut? Now I know why the Expos are no more...

    Unbelievable

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Expos really had some great players. Unbelievable that team only made the "post season" once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want one of these cards. Scratch that, I need one of these cards.

    ReplyDelete