Monday, July 2, 2012

Top 10 Posts from My First Year

I started making cards for this blog just over a year ago. I started out with a blog on Ron Santo but found that it started getting stale and that what I enjoyed more was making Ron Santo cards that never were. Over the past year these are the cards that have been viewed most often. While these are not necessarily my favorites (possibly another post?) or even your favorites, they are the ones most people have stumbled upon for whatever reason. 

10. 1976 Rookie Pitchers.  I wanted to make a rookie card for Mark Fidrych so I put him on a card with some other famous pitchers who also were rookies in 1976 but didn't have a card that year. What I didn't realize when I made this card is that the other 3 pitchers paths would cross again on the biggest stage in baseball. Game 7 of a World Series. All 3 would be playing on different teams by then. In 1982, Andujar and Vuckovich would be the starting pitcher for Game 7. Andujar would get the win and Sutter the save as the Cardinals defeated the Brewers. Vuckovich pitched into the 6th and would leave the game with the score tied at 3.






9. 1962 Topps Buck O'Neil.  This is one of my earliest and one of my favorite cards that I made. 



8. 1981 Fleer Minnie Minoso.  I'm glad this post made the top 10. As a long time White Sox fan, I love Minnie and think he really should be in the Hall of Fame.


7.  1984 Topps Mickey Mantle. Overall one of the most popular subjects is Mantle. Personally, my favorite Mickey Mantle Cards That Never Were didn't even make the top ten viewed. I like the 1971, 1976 and 1983 the best. The reason this particular Mantle card made the top 10 is that I included pictures of all the different 1954 Mantle cards out there as part of the post.



6. 1963 Topps Pete Rose.  This is certainly not the first time somebody has made a '63 Rose card.  It is kinda a no miss. Rookie card, famous (infamous?) player, good looking set. No surprise it is so popular.



5.  1991 Topps Jim Thome.  This card was somehow being used in ESPN's fantasy baseball. That was the boost it needed to make the top 5 most viewed from my blog.


4.  1963 Topps Gary Peters. I'm sure most people who stumbled upon this card did it by accident. There is another Gary Peters who is a U.S. Congressman from the suburbs of Detroit.



3.  1969 Topps Joe DiMaggio. The popularity of the Yankee Clipper evidently surpasses the ridiculousness of this uniform.



2. 1972 Topps Mickey Mantle.  I'm not sure why this is the most popular of the Mantles.  It is one of my favorite years for Topps. 



1. Rush Baseball Cards.  My most popular post was also my most unusual post. I had created cards featuring Rush in honor of 2112 (February 1, 2012) aka "International Rush Day". This must've given me a nice crossover audience. Or maybe more web surfers are into Classic Rock than baseball cards.






2 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed all of your custom card creations so much so that I wish there was a store to purchase them. The Mantle's have been very nice but I really like the Dick Allen In Action juggling the baseballs while smoking. After a long day, I've perused your site many times. Very refreshing. I'm looking forward to the next year. J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. How did I miss that 1976 rookie masterpiece? Awesome.

    ReplyDelete