Sunday, March 1, 2015

Minnie Minoso


1925-2015

Another one of my all-time favorites passed away today. It's odd that the player who broke the color barrier for the White Sox died within weeks of the player who broke the color barrier for the Cubs. I can't express what these 2 great men meant to the city of Chicago and to baseball. Today's news just amplifies the tragedy of the recent "Golden Age" Hall of Fame ballot.

Minnie Minoso has always been one of my favorite subjects.I made the card above back in 2011 to commemorate his brief appearance playing for the Sox in 1980. I changed up the Topps cap design a bit to look more like the Sox cap of the era. Ultimately, I wasn't happy with it and never posted it until today.Instead went with this 1981 Fleer card:


I had also created 2 different cards for Minnie from 1951 sets. A 1951 Bowman of Minoso on the White Sox:


And a 1951 Topps card of Minnie on the Indians:


He even made it onto one of the leaders cards that never were, this 1961 RBI leaders card:



1 comment:

  1. RIP Minnie Minoso. The 51 Bowman is stunningly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete