Tuesday, May 3, 2016

2016 Topps Mickey Mantle


It's time again to continue a tradition started (then abandoned) by Topps. For a few years (2006-2012) Topps included a Mickey Mantle card in every set. Although the number 7 card is still retired there are no more Topps cards of the Mick as they let their licensing agreement lapse.  Ever since I began making Mickey Mantle cards for the missing Topps years.  I squirrel away any interesting photos I find of him on the internet and earmark them for this series. 

I really like this shot of him which I believe is from the 1962 World Series. It looks like he is diving back into first base. Mantle had a stolen second base in game one and he was also picked off at first by Jack Sanford in the 6th inning of game seven. I don't know for sure, but I think this is a picture of that play.

2 comments: