Wednesday, March 12, 2014

1973 Topps All Star Cards : National League Outfield


Again in 1973 the Topps set was devoid of All Star cards. I actually had addressed this once before.


This was my first attempt at a Topps 1973 All Star card.  I made this for my previous blog, 6 degrees of Ron Santo. I really liked the concept but there is no way this would work for most of the All Star starters. On this post alone, it wouldn't work for Aaron or Mays.  Aaron was the sole representative of the Atlanta Braves and The Mets had only 2 other All Stars, Seaver and McGraw. 

That being said, it would have made a sweet card for Willie Stargell along with Roberto Clemente, Manny Sanguillen, Al Oliver and Steve Blass.

 Instead, I kept to a format similar to the World Series cards in that set. I also decided to use all "action" cards as they were becoming more prevalent in the 1973 set.


Willie Stargell was the starting left fielder and clean-up hitter for the 1972 NL All Stars. He walked in the bottom of the 2nd and was force out at 2nd when Johnny Bench grounded into a double play. He popped out to short right in his only other plate appearance.



The 1972 All Star Game was Willie Mays' final game as a starter and his first in a Mets uniform. At 41 years old, Mays was the oldest position player in Major League Baseball in 1972.


In 1971 Hank Aaron hit a career high 47 homers and in 1972 he was, once again the starting right fielder. In the 6th inning he smashed a 2 run homer to ut the NL ahead 2-1.


5 comments:

  1. I like the concept of the Cubs AS card. Hey, it's not your fault only two teams made the cut. You should make the Pirates card. A 2 card sub-series. ;)

    Great 73 style AS cards. I like the Mays particularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Mays is glorious - and a photo I have never seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!!! That Stargell card is awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Warren...make the Pirates card! :)

    (Although I do like the others too)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm in. After I finish this set, I'll make some revisions to include the All Star reserves.

    ReplyDelete