Sunday, June 10, 2012

1953 Topps Ted Williams

Going Horizontal



I have always liked it when Topps turned the cards sideways especially when they added an action shot. In the 1952 set Topps had a handful of horizontal cards but it wouldn't be until the '70s that we would see them try it again. Even then they only did it in 1971, 1973 and 1974. After that we had to wait until 1991. In recent years, Topps frequently has been using a horizontal variations within their sets. But I'd like to see some of the more vintage sets with horizontal variations.

I know certain layouts don't adapt very well to a horizontal version. But take a look at these real  Topps cards. You have to admit they stand out.






There are quite a few vintage sets I think would look cool turned sideways. I might have to add horizontal cards to my seemingly never ending list of running themes. Any thoughts?


1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see versions of all Topps cards in a horizontal format. I think most could be adapted well. Off the top of my head, 1968 and 1969 might be tough with the big circle. Also, 1984 might look odd with the square head shot. Maybe 1982 with the double stripe, too. Still, a little creativity could overcome all of that.

    ReplyDelete