Saturday, August 1, 2020

2020 Baseball is Back (For Now)


Baseball is back, but looks a little different this year.  I thought I'd make a few card that reflect the current state of things. Here's Anthony Rizzo sharing his hand sanitizer with Orlando Arcia.


I included Mike Trout because he not only is arguably the biggest name in the game, but he was also vocal about his safety concerns.


When designing these cards, I was thinking about a take on the 1983/1963 style with the players' close-up inside a stylized COVID virus.  I also wanted a horizontal version that took on somewhat of a 1960 Topps look.  I thought it might be cool to have the team logos on a surgical mask, too.  (Maybe a bit of overkill?)


A few firsts for the 2020 season: of course Alyssa Nakken, the first female MLB on-field coach and the designated hitter in the National League.  Also that's an MLB sponsored Black Lives Matters t-shirt. And yes, cardboard fans in the seats.



1 comment:

  1. Very clever design there. Love the inset photo in a "virus"!

    ReplyDelete