Wednesday, May 1, 2019

1971 Alt-Topps Requests

 Here's a few more 1971 Alt-Topps requested in the comment sections. KookKards wanted a card of The Hawk in his final year. Two interesting things here, first KoolKards is a blog by 3 brothers creating their own cards. Although they made a few of big league players, most are family oriented. They must've come across the same rejected mockups. Here is a link to the KoolKards page using one of the rejected designs for a family football game. Very nicely done..












Another interesting thing is that Harrelson had his nickname "Hawk" emblazoned on the back of his jersey when he was traded to the Indians in 1969. That  is why I used his nickname on his Alt-Topps card.












As usual "Buzz" (who's lengthy and informative comments often out-shine the posts themselves) had a handful of great request. He hit upon one of my all time favorites, Mr. Cub. Ernie Banks was also in his final season in 1971.
















He was also looking for Felipe Alou. He was betting that I could "do better" than an already very good action card issued in the real 1971 set.






















Despite my attempt, the real 1971 Topps Felipe Alou is still superior











Buzz also requested a card of the 48 year old knuckler, Hoyt Wilhelm.  After his longest tenure from 1963-1968 with the Chicago White Sox, he was well traveled in the twilight of his career.  He was picked up by the Royals in the 1968 expansion draft. KC dealt him to the Angels. Toward the end of the 1969 season, California traded him to the Braves. 












Again before the end of the 1970 season, Wilhelm was claimed off waivers by the Cubs. The Cubs the traded him back to Atlanta before the start of the 1971 season. He was released by the Braves mid season 1971. He signed with LA and played until mid-season 1972 when he ultimately ended his playing career 5 days before his 50th birthday.

Topps created a card for Wilhelm on the Cubs. In typical O Pee Chee fashion, the same photo was used on a Braves card with a notation "Recently Trade to Braves".




Tony Horton had never appeared on a Topps card in his short but prolific career. His career ended in tragically 1970.  He took himself out of a second game of a double header.  He then attempted suicide.  He was treated for stress likely stemming from the treatment he receive from the Cleveland fans following a salary dispute.  Thankfully, he recovered and still lives today.  Unfortunately, he never played another game.










Although Buzz only left a description, not a name in his first comment, I knew who he was writing about.  I had created 2 other Tony Horton Cards That Never Were. Here he is included on a rookie card created for the 1964 Alt-Topps a few months ago.




Here is another that I was asked to make for 1969 Topps Baseball blog. 















Deogolf requested that I once again complete the World Series subset.


One of the key plays of Game 1 was the play at the plate in which the umpire was out of position. Hendricks tagged Carbo with his mitt while the ball was in his other hand. Conversely, Carbo missed the plate. So while Ken Burkhart may have not been in the best position to make the call, he did manage to make the correct call.


Game 2 had plenty of offence. The game had 3 long balls in an eleven run game. I chose to put Boog hitting his second of the series on this card.

















Game 3 saw 9 runs put up by the Orioles. This included a grand slam by the pitcher, Dave McNalley. McNalley also pitched a complete game for Baltimore.









Lee May kept Cincinnati's hopes alive by going 2 for 3 with 4 RBIs and a walk. This included what turned out to be a game winning 3-run homer in the 8th inning.

















Game 5 and the "celebration" card were included in my previous post.


Buzz also wanted more information on the font used here.  It is called Playbill and it is based on the font that was used on vintage Broadway programs of the same name.
Buzz thought it looked similar to the old west "Wanted" posters. Here are a couple cards in that vein. I chose the career leaders (in 1971) of  stolen bases and shutouts.  I suppose in some alternate universe these cards could have been inserts into the 1971 Alt-Topps wax packs.


************************************


There was one more request from Jim for A Tony Oliva card. I decided to add it here. I had actually made another in memory of Bill Buckner and didn't want to add this onto that page.





8 comments:

  1. As someone who collects both Hawk and Hortion. I love what you’ve done. If you ever make cards of these creations I would love to get some

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding work!! Love 'em!!

    Thanks a million!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to see a Tony Oliva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Hawk card! A big thanks for the 1969 Alt Topps Baseball design which I used for my family's football cards! I only ran across the design on this blog. Your work is awesome and I always look forward to see your new creations. Thanks for the link to my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. By gosh!!! You got everybody's "stuff" done. And, just look at these comments! Great to see that more people are noticing - or at least letting you know. In every instance, save one, you picked perfect photos. The one "semi" misfire (Felipe Alou) is all my fault though. I was really looking for more of a "straight on" shot. I did feel that I needed to describe the old 71, and of course label it as "decent" (after all who would want to insult Topps?) I guess I suffer from the same "William P. Bundy Memorial Tweed Salami Sandwich" thinking as former Oriole reliever Dick Hall (see Boyd & Harris for that reference). Anyway, poor communication on my part, but still a very good card - not too many of Felipe in the "gold & green ". The rest of this is pure platinum. Just look at that pic (color) of "Hawk" - much of that 'tude he was noted for comes through. Really very reminiscent of the cover of his autobiography. Next Tony Horton, I guess baseball's loss was the banking world's gain or some such consolation. So hard to believe that all of this happened. The second half of 1970 was filled with so much sadness; this, then about a week later Alan Wilson(CANNED HEAT), then 2 weeks after that Jimi Hendrix, and finally Oct.4th Janis Joplin. At least Tony lived through his ordeal. Honestly I had forgotten (or was just in denial) that he had ever "gone to the edge". I never had a prayer of being 1/2 the ballplayer he was. These selections also show how much Cleveland lost within 12-13 months. Add on to this the under compensated for trades of Nettles and Chambliss a few years later and one can see why the "teepee" was nearly deserted by mid decade. Also so glad that Deogolf pressed you to do or "redo" the 71 W.S. I didn't join in for the clamor because I (erroneously) thought that it would just be redundant. But look how much better these are! Game #2 there he is at full extension - goin' from the heels the big boy - Mr. Fun - BOOG!! Well, it's another massive blast - and one I'm sorry that I missed it. 1970, the last of the traditional World Series, and at 19, I had both work and school (along with anxieties about S.E. Asia). But here nearly 1/2 century later I can relive it. Of course no 70 recap is complete without a spotlight on Dave McNally (a very consequential player) which you do. And last, "the big bopper", Lee May made sure it wasn't a complete walkover - and there he is on the backswing. Glad that Brett Alan loves the Hoyt - I do too - that expression is just priceless. Thanks so much for not only really perfect cards, but for the education as well. Now I know that the shown script is acknowledged as PLAYBILL. I no longer have to be a stammering inarticulate desperado searching for references and descriptions. More later ..gotta go now "Buzz" (Bryant)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am tardy in getting back to you, but alas the occasion is a sad one. I am of course referring to Bill Buckner. I had no "heads up" about this, so the shock is complete. He was only about a year & 1/2 older than me...it's chilling. I can still remember "Billy Bucks" as a young player, he possessed all the tools except overwhelming power - but in a whooping 10,000 plate appearances he got his share of long balls and plenty of 2 baggers'. His career (IMHO) is very reminiscent of Mickey Vernon or Ron Fairly (except he certainly had better wheels than them). I realize that you are now done with the Alt 71's. Maybe in this instance you can do an encore. I see where a certain "Jim"(May 2) was hoping for a Tony Oliva. Perhaps that request could be paired with a tribute to Bill. I very much remember his productivity during the 74 pennant race (over 300 B.A. & 31 stolen bases). He was a very big reason why the Dodgers made it to the series that year. Hope all is well with you... "Buzz"(Bryant).

    ReplyDelete