Friday, January 10, 2020

Niel Peart


September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020


This was originally posted February 1, 2012. AKA "International Rush Day", 2/1/12.

This is still one of my most popular posts. It has crossover appeal to both sportscard geeks and Rush geeks.  I consider myself both.

The passing of Neil Peart hits me pretty hard. His music meant a lot to me in my youth and still haunts me today.  So despite being woefully behind on my postings, I am re-posting this.

Rest in Peace. 

**********************************





In honor of today's date 2-1-12, I've made some custom Rush cards. I figure this is the closest any of us will get to the actual 2112. Still one of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands.

In case you're wondering, that's Neil Peart behind his Hockey Night in Canada Drum kit on a 1981 O Pee Chee hockey card. Alex is on a 1975 Topps All Star baseball card and Geddy is wearing what appears to be a Warren Cromartie Montreal Expos jersey on a 1973 Topps baseball card. I assume it is Cromartie's jersey because Cromartie wore #49 for the Expos from 1974-1983 and on the Signals album the "Warren Cromartie Secondary School" bordered the subdivision on the back cover. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Nice card. But you need a horizontal card to fit all his drums in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your re-post is a timely tribute to a great percussionist. I did some work with "the traps" myself, although this man was light years past me. If I ever get out my old practice pad I'll do a few "paradiddles" and think of him "Buzz" (rim shot Bryant).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geddy Lee is an avid baseball fan and can often be seen in attendance at Toronto Blue Jays home games. Nice tribute to Neil Peart and a great band.

    ReplyDelete